Grammar is one of the key requirements for learning English. This article gives you some insight into the kind of resources that you might use for this purpose. You can then expand on the resources that have been discussed.
Using resources to teach English grammar
When you are teaching the language, it is important to consider all the avenues that are open to you. There are some really great resources that are provided at the British Council as well as the American Consulate. You can also use the internet to access some important tools for your task. Broadly speaking these are some of the resources that are available to you
1. Novels and plays: You should expose your students to a wide range of novels and plays. Apart from the classics such as Jane Austen and Charles Dickens, you should try to use modern writers as well. Harry Porter is a great resource for younger students. Get the students to select the materials that have specific interest for them. In that sense, they can learn English whilst enjoying the experience.
2. Interactive CD-ROMs and cassettes: The use of interactive cassettes and other forms of media has grown in stature as we become aware of modern learning techniques. Remember that the younger generation is already conversant with these tools when they play video games. You are merely giving them the opportunity to become better at a language using the tools that they routinely work with.
3. Videos and television: The power of visual images cannot be underestimated when learning a new language. Some viewers spend an average of five hours a day on television. That time is well spent if they are learning English in the process. Make sure that your students get access to informative television programs from time to time.
4. Blogs: Many of the international universities such as the University of Liverpool are effectively using the internet to communicate with their students. You can set up a blog which will help your students to practice their writing skills. At the same time you can give them feedback on how well they are doing through this medium.
5. Illustrated Comics: This is an innovative way to get your students to study the language in an enjoyable format. Some of the great French comics have been successfully translated into English. Why not use Tin-Tin to get your students to practice their grammar? You might even get them to do the work in their leisure time.
The resources for teaching English grammar are in no way exhaustive. You will need to find a set of materials that helps you in your work. At the same time you have to maintain interest in the classroom. These materials can help you to achieve this objective through the variety of ways in which the information is presented. You will also be using modern technology to ensure that you are leading the class effectively. Those are the minimum standards that are expected in this context as you expand the educational horizons of your students.
Academic Calendar (1) British VS American English (1) Business Meetings (7) Communication Skills 1 Notes (1) Communication Skills 2 Notes (1) Communication Skills 3 (1) Communication Skills 3 Slides Presentations/soft copies (1) Cover Letter (1) Critical and Creative Thinking (6) CS 2 Slides Presentation - Lecture (1) CS2 - Sample of Powerpoint Presentations (1) Dictionary Skills Slide Presentation (1) English 1 Notes (1) English 2 Notes (1) English Idioms (2) Entertainment (1) EPAL (1) Exam (1) Formal Letter / Memoranda (1) General (6) Grammar (12) Guide to Writing a Basic Essay (1) Health (1) How to Write an Essays (1) IMPROVE YOUR ENGLISH LEARNING SKILLS (1) International Phonetic Symbols Chart with Sounds (1) IPA (1) Job Interview (1) Lovely Evana (1) Motivation (9) Organizational Behaviour (OB) Notes (1) Parts of Speech Slide Presentation (1) Public Speaking (3) Reading (1) Resume / Curriculum Vitae (1) Science (1) Sentence Structure Slide Presentation (1) Speaking Skills (1) Summary (1) Tips (1) Tongue Twister (1)