Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Example of Essay - "My Best Friend"

English Composition Writing on My Best Friend

My best friend is someone I have known since my childhood. Our friendship goes back to the time when I was ten years old. His name is Harry, and he lived a couple of blocks from my house. We had a lot in common, and we spent time together during the weekends. 

I remembered many of my favorite hobbies were because of his influence. I learned to play the guitar from him, and I started martial arts classes because he did the same. That was back in the year 1974. Now you know how old I am. That is right, the years have gone by, and even today as I sit here typing on my computer, I still have my guitar sitting right beside me. It was a hobby that changed my life and I thank him because he was the one who taught me how to play the guitar. I remember the days when we used to have our own bicycles. That was my first bicycle, and I wanted to have one that look just like Harry's. Strange, but somehow, he seemed to be a big influence on me in my early years. Maybe because I saw him as a role model.

Weekends, we would go over to each other's house and practice guitar, and martial arts, Tae Kwon Do, to be exact. Those were the days when Bruce Lee was very popular, and as I recalled, we used to go to school, elementary school that is, with our own version of nan-cha-ku, tucked away in out book bag, away from the sight of our teachers. As I think about those days now, I never fail to relish its splendor. The days of innocence, never again to be revisited. However, at times when I look at my son, who is thirteen years old now, I could almost see him enacting some of the things I did in the past.


My best friend, Harry, is no longer in contact with me. We have lost contact since we went on to separate secondary schools. He was in St. Patrick's Secondary School, and I went on to Raffles Institution for my secondary school. Do I miss him now, at the age of 49? Yes, I do. I had wanted to get in touch with him, and possibly some of my old classmates from Primary school, but they are no where to be found. I heard many years ago that Harry went on to be a sailor after graduation from seaman's course. It will be nice to know how everyone is doing.

Best friends are like old wine, and the older they are the better. I just wish that someday, somehow, I will be able to reestablish contact with Harry Wong. So, Harry Wong Kok Hoong, if you are reading this, please get in touch with me. I am Ding Soon Kheong, I remember you used to call me Ding.


This much I remember about you... Old address at 38 Lorong 14 Geylang Road. Your birthday is on October 30, 1961. Our primary school was Geylang English School, and yes, you had a dog named Bobby back then. exesmr@yahoo.com

No comments: